Okay boys and girls. If you see me on the streets of Chicago with earbuds in, here are the song’s on the playlist. This is a carefully curated list of songs, not of necessarily what’s hot at the moment, but what I’m in the mood to hear. So without further ado:
1. B.o.B. featuring Wiz Khalifa – Fuck the Money.
I have to thank NY Magazine’s Vulture Blog for this one. Featured on B.o.B.’s May 25th Mixtape, this song takes a Joni Mitchell sample and flips it surprisingly well.
If you ever see me walking down the street and I have a look on my face and a bounce in my step that says I think I’m a rock star, there is a 95% chance that in my mind I have become Karen O
Two Words: Dilla, Detroit. I’m tempted to take this song off because it makes me so damn homesick, every time I hear it I want to be riding around Belle Isle with the windows down. “I guess that’s where you at”
If you don’t understand this, Ctrl+X. You won’t ever understand this blog. “My dear, My dear, My dear, you do not know me but I know you very well”
5. Big K.R.I.T featuring Yelawolf – Hometown Hero Rmx
Another gem from the Vulture blog. I don’t know who produced this but the use of the Adelle sample is perfection, especially the way they utilize the way the original builds and adlibs.
6. Jay Electronica featuring Jay-Z & the Dream – Shiny Suit Theory
I think I’m developing a music crush on Erykah Badu’s baby daddy. I am absolutely loving me some Jay Electronica right now. He just signed to Roc Nation, so we’ll see what comes next.
DJ Red Alert was in Chicago a couple of weeks ago and played this. Takes me back to a time, and a person “with brown coco skin and curly black hair, just the way he looks at me that tender loving stare”
I heard this for the first time at the hair salon I used to go to in Detroit. I should say that one of the major reasons I went back a second time aside from them being amazing people who did good work, was that they played great music. Anyway, I heard this and nearly fell out of the chair. This song stays in rotation.
9. Big Boi – Daddy Fat Sax, Shutterbug, General Patton, Tangerine, Be Still, Fo Yo Sorrows, Night, Night, Shine Blockas, The Train pt. 2, Back Up Plan
– Listen, if you do not have Sir Lucious Left Foot…The Son of Chico Dusty, one of my favorite albums of 2010, go to Amazon, iTunes, your local record store and cop that shit NOW. If you always thought that Andre 3000 was the more talented member of Outkast, go here. Also, Royal Flush. Thank me in the comments.
10. Solange Knowles- Stillness Is The Move
Definitely an oldie that hasn’t left the playlist. What do you get when you mix The Dirty Projectors, The Bumpy’s Lament (Xxplosive, Bag Lady) sample and the edgier Knowles sister? Perfection.
11. Cee-Lo Green – Bodies
This song has been in rotation since the first time I heard it. I had to listen to it at least 5 times on my first run through The Lady Killer. Love. I don’t know what it says about me and Cee-Lo that three of my favorite songs by him are this, Necromancer, and Would Be Killer.
This is the wake-up in the morning, let’s get it song. “You can’t stop my go!”
13. Pusha T – Open Your Eyes
– Thanks again to Vulture! Here Pusha T goes in over a Bohemian Rhapsody sample that is used to perfection. It takes a special kind of rapper to be heard over Queen and Pusha does it with no sweat
14. Slum Village – Climax (Girl Shit)
No analysis. I just LOVE this song.
15. Jon Connor – Vent Session
– We discussed this already I made a playlist for a friend a few weeks ago and got a phone call later asking, “Yo! who is the dude GOING IN over the Kanye beat?” Jon Connor ladies and gentlemen.
16. Black Box – Everybody, Everybody
DJ Red Alert again. Also, I’m a sucker for Martha Wash over 90’s dance music.
– The MMJB’s are: Black Thought, Dice Raw, P.O.R.N, S.T.S. & Truck North. If reading that lineup didn’t make you click the link, then I don’t know what’s wrong with you. The mixtape is basically those M.C’s going in over dirty ass beats. And the mixtape is free as hell. Also, Jazzy Jeff (aka my favorite DJ EVER) goes IN on the hook. Nuff Said. Get the mixtape and quit playing.
18. Lil’ Kim – Crush On You
Nostalgia. 8th grade. pre-hot ass mess Lil’ Kim.
19. Yeah Yeah Yeahs – Heads Will Roll
– Karen O. Swag
20. Kanye West featuring Pusha T, Cyhi the Prince, Big Sean & J. Cole – Looking for Trouble
This is one that just worked its way back on to the playlist because to be honest, I Kanye’d my self out listening to the Good Friday and My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy on repeat for 2 months straight. Anyway the two standouts for me are Big Sean and J. Cole. I could go on and on about the track but basically Big Sean rips his verse and you wonder how J. Cole is going to handle the closing verse. Not only does he knock it out the park but he smashes it Godzilla style until there’s nothing left to do but play the instrumental.
I really tried to keep this list to 20 songs but I couldn’t not put The Black Keys on the list. I think that it is probably impossible to make a bad song called Tighten Up. Just a theory. If you are or know of a wack “artist”, feel free to test that theory. Actually, I might head to the studio and I have absolutely no musical talent whatsoever.